Travel Advice Unit | Public Holidays | Passports / Visas | Health Advice / Risks | Travel Routes | Airport |Travelling | Restaurants | Electricity

Travel Advice Unit

Travel Advice Unit - Foreign and Commonwealth Office

The Travel Advice Unit provides up-to-date advice on problems that may arise in some countries owing to political unrest, violence, natural disasters and epidemics. Travel advice notices can be obtained from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website.

Security Briefing for Business

In addition to the help with trade and overseas investment provided by UK Trade & Investment, the FCO is ready to help businesses in assessing security risks and other broader considerations they may face when operating overseas. This will consist primarily of information and commentary the political, economic and social situation in the country in question. This information and commentary are offered in good faith. The FCO cannot accept liability for any inaccuracies or omissions.

In the first instance, businesses should contact the Political Section of the overseas post in question, since that is where the most up to date and detailed information will be available. The post will also be able to put enquirers in touch with sources of expert desk-level advice in the FCO in London.

Alternatively, businesses may contact the designated Business Co-ordinator located in each Geographical Command in the FCO. The Business Co-ordinator will also refer enquirers as necessary to the relevant FCO geographical desk or Post contacts. Return to top

Public holidays in Spain

January 1,6
April 18
May 1
August 15
October 12
November 1
December 6,8,25

Malaga regional holidays

Feria y Fiestas de El Ángel 2008 en Marbella
from 2 to 5 de October, Marbella

Feria de Torrox 2008
from 2 to 5 de October, Torrox

Feria de San Francisco en Algatocín
4 October, Algatocín

Sopas Perotas 2008 en Álora
4 October, Álora

San Francisco de Asís en Jubrique
4 October, Jubrique

Feria de Fuengirola 2008
from 6 to 12 de October, Fuengirola

Feria Chica en Alcaucín
7 October, Alcaucín

Virgen from Rosario en Benaoján
7 October, Benaoján

Nuestra Señora from Rosario en Villanueva from Rosario
7 October, Villanueva from Rosario

06/10-12/10 Feria de Fuengirola 2008
04/10-05/10 Feria from Queso 2008 en Teba
02/10-05/10 Feria y Fiestas de El Ángel 2008 en Marbella
24/09-24/09 Día from Turista 2008 en Mijas (Tourist day)
25/09-29/09 Feria de San Miguel 2008 en Torremolinos
26/09-29/09 Feria de San Miguel 2008 en Istán
19/09-21/09 Festival Árabe Andalusí 2008 en Salares
12/09-14/09 Feria de Septiembre 2008 en Alozaina
05/09-08/09 Feria de Maro 2008 en Nerja
06/09-06/09 Fiesta from Ajoblanco 2008 en Almáchar

Avoid taking business trips to Spain in August. Spanish vacations and the heat bring business activity to a virtual standstill. July is also a quiet month, though its usually possible to do business in the first few weeks. For those who come for holidays in high season, remember to reserve your Malaga hotel and book your Malaga car hire in advance.
Return to top

Passports / Visas



British citizens may visit Spain on production of a valid passport. No further formalities are required.

Long-Term Stays


were published in Royal Decree 178/2003 of 14 February 2003 and in the Official State Bulletin (BOE) of 22 February 2003. From 1 March 2003, British and other EU citizens, intending to remain in Spain for a continuous period of more than 90 days and who come under the following categories, no longer need to apply for a residence card and are able to reside in Spain with a valid passport (or DNI where applicable) : Employees, Self-employed, Students and EU national dependants of a EU or Spanish national. Dependents who are non-EU nationals will continue to require a residence card and may have to obtain a special visa before travelling to Spain.

Residence cards and certificates confirming non-residence/residence status may be applied for on an optional basis. Voluntary applications should be made direct to the local Comisaria de Policia or Oficina de Extranjeros. The issue of a card or certificate is at the discretion of the Spanish authorities. Further information on the documents to be submitted is available on toll free telephone number 900 150 000. Interested individuals should also consult the Ministry of the Interior's website (Spanish Home Office)


The role of the Spanish "Gestor" is peculiar to Spain. He is a person who can carry out most of the more standard bureaucratic procedures for you, thanks to his knowledge of Spanish Bureacracy. He is not a lawyer as such but, for a usually reasonable fee, he will take your paperwork and produce the final result with minimum stress to you. You can do most of the work that a gestor carries out but if you have little time or find yourself confused by bureaucratic procedures he can be very useful. However, do not expect immediate results and always obtain an estimate of costs before engaging his services. It is not uncommon for the gestor to require a down payment, which would normally cover his whole fee.

Return to top

Health advice / risks

Visitors should ensure that they carry adequate travel and medical insurance for the duration of their stay in Spain.

The form E111 available from any Post Office will enable UK visitors to get urgent medical treatment free in Spain. This should be completed and stamped at the Post Office before you leave and carried with you.

Return to top

Travel routes to Spain

British Airways, Iberia, British Midland and EasyJet all have daily regular scheduled flights to Spain. Flights can be booked direct with the airline or through a competent travel agent.

The main international airport in Spain is Barajas in Madrid. Other international airports include Barcelona, Bilbao, Seville, Palma de Mallorca and Valencia.

All the main Canary Islands have international airports and are served by regular international and regional flight connections. There are also excellent maritime connections with Jet Foil and Ferry services between Islands.

Once you arrive to any airport in Spain, a good idea is to include in our planning car hire Spain . There are many places to visit in Spain and many road routes to drive.
Return to top

How to get to & from the airport

Taxis from Madrid airport to the city centre cost around 15 Euros (£9.00 approx.). The metro also connects Madrid airport with the city.

Taxis from Barcelona airport to the centre cost around 15 Euros (£9.00 approx.). There is a bus service from Barcelona airport to the centre. It costs around 3 Euros (£1.80 approx.) and operates every 15 minutes.

For those who require a taxi from the airport, Malaga airport transfers is a great choice. Price can be cheaper than a public taxi and the comfort of getting to your desired destination with a driver talking your own language has no price.
Return to top

Travelling in Spain

The most convenient and effective way to travel between cities in Spain, where time is an important factor, is by air. Rail connections exist between major cities but, with the exceptions of certain high speed links, travel by rail is generally slow.

Another option is using our own vehicle, if we are getting to Malaga Malaga car hire is a must when we really want to get the most of our holidays. Roads are in excellent conditions and in a few hours we can enjoy many cities of Spain.
Return to top


Eating out is a way of life in Spain. 'Tapas' is a popular option as a snack in bars. There is also a wide choice of restaurants in Malaga and bars serving a variety of food and is comparatively cheap compared to the UK although vegetarian and ethnic food is not as wifromy available as in the UK. During the day, most restaurants offer a Menu from dia, a very good value set price meal usually consisting of 3 courses and a drink. Service is not usually included on a bill but the level of tipping is much less than in the UK and is typically between 5-7%.
Return to top

Electricity supply

220 V. plugs with two round pins are used in Spain. There are many plug convertors in the market at cheap prices if you need one.
Return to top